Friday, February 24, 2012

The Ox May Die

“The ox may die” is just one of the many sentences I’ve had to type this semester at Moraine Park. Since I tested out of the keyboarding class, I went straight into the next class. Now that we’re a few weeks into the semester, I can tell you all about my Document Processing class.


By using software, we learn how to increase our speed and accuracy in typing. The software gives us typing exercises, and we type directly into the software. At the beginning the software gave me a lot of random sentences that did not correlate with each other. I think I found “The ox may die” sentence funny because it made me think of The Oregon Trail game, which has resurfaced as a nostalgic pastime for my generation.


My speed and accuracy has increased quite a bit, and I now know where there’s room for improvement. Those darn numbers and symbols keys can be difficult to reach!


I should mention that I’m not just learning how to type fast and error free. I’m also learning how to accurately format business letters, memos, and reports. The book and software gives me tips on grammar and teaches me about commonly misspelled words in business documents. It is much more interesting than I expected for a class I thought would be just advanced keyboarding.


And just for Oregon Trail fans: The good news is the ox lives, but you will have to ford the river or wait to see if conditions improve. Choose wisely or the oxen may die.

No comments:

Post a Comment