Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Exploring the Idea of an Individualized Technical Studies Degree

Week in Review: A Reflection of January 30 – February 5


It has been a very rough week. On top of being sick, catching up on in-class work, and finishing assignments, I also accidently cut my finger pretty badly. The beginning of the semester has been unexpectedly stressful. However, I’m very thankful my classes post activities and assignment requirements on our online class portal so I have access to anything I might have missed. My classmates have been helpful as well in getting me up to speed with everything. Thank you, guys!


Although I didn’t have extra time to do much of anything outside of class work, I did manage to contact the Dean of General and International Education to ask for information about the Individualized Technical Studies degree (ITS). I’ve been thinking about creating my own tailored degree, which is something you can do here at Moraine Park Technical College.


There are a lot of great programs I am interested in that interrelate. It would be impractical and time consuming to complete three or four entire programs. But, with the ITS degree, I could combine classes from different programs to make one that suits my career goals.


In my case, I’m interested in classes from the IT-Web Designer/Developer, Office Assistant, and Interactive Media Design programs. All these academic programs teach a wide variety of software that is used to communicate ideas in a digital format. It looks like there’s a lot of paperwork to complete and I would have to find a mentor, but it’s a great opportunity to pursue a very specific career path.

No comments:

Post a Comment