Monday, October 3, 2011

Week in Review: A Reflection of September 26 – 30, 2011

This week I realized there are only a few more classes left until two of my one-credit classes are done. After that I start a two-credit class, Beginning Photoshop. I’m also more than halfway through my self-paced Excel course.


My self-paced Excel course was very challenging at first. I’m used to a more traditional style of learning that takes place in the classroom. With the self-paced course I’m using a book and online project simulations. It was a new way of learning for me. I could move through material as quickly or as slowly as I wanted to. I liked that. However, there’s a lot of information to take in for each lesson plan. But this week things are finally clicking for me, and I enjoyed completing this last lesson plan, and I even got it done ahead of schedule. So, what I learned this week is to just hang in there when something is difficult. Lots of things are difficult but very few things in life are impossible.


Besides learning the software program thoroughly, I’m gaining some useful transferable skills. I’m developing problem-solving skills, self-motivation, and organizational skills. These are the kind of skills any employer would like to have in their employees. We talked about transferable skills in my last Career Development class session, so I’ve been thinking about them lately and how I can convey them to future employers.


When I’m done learning Excel in mid October I will begin the self-paced Access course. This will also be a challenge. In a way I think it’ll be easier, because I am more comfortable with this learning format. It’s good to learn new things and new ways of learning new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment