Thursday, October 6, 2011

Lunch ‘n’ Learn: Self-Maintenance

Since October is Emotional Wellness Month, this week’s Lunch ‘n’ Learn at Moraine Park Technical College West Bend campus was about self-maintenance. This is something college students struggle with at times. We are busy, hardworking people juggling lots of different things. We’ve got classes, homework, clubs, work, family, friends, and other commitments. Where does time for us fit in? What can we do to make sure we take care of ourselves while we take care of everything else?


During our conversation we talked about all the things we do or don’t do to take care of ourselves. Things like sleeping, eating, fitness, time management, and stress management are all factors that influence our wellness. Stress and time management always seem to be big issues.


One thing I have learned, and need to remind myself periodically, is that I need to not take everything too seriously. Sometimes things just aren’t as important as I make them out to be, and some things are beyond my control. These are the things I can let go, because all they’re doing is taking up my time and energy. I could be focusing on something more productive instead.


We were able to share our methods of winding down at night and turning off our minds at the end of a long day. It was a good reminder that we need to take care of ourselves, too, and that’s a good thing not a selfish thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment