Monday, September 12, 2011

Week in Review: A Reflection of September 5 – 9, 2011

This week I received my letter of acceptance into the Office Assistant program at Moraine Park Technical College. As I’ve mentioned in previous blogs, I’ve been in the IT-Web Developer/Designer program since fall of last year, and I will still be continuing with this program. After speaking with the career counselor, taking an aptitude test, and meeting with my academic advisor, I’m now honing in on the best career path for me. I’ve decided to pursue both programs.


When I first started college years ago, I wish I would have known what I know now. It’s important to know what skills employers of your profession want. The easiest way to find out what they are looking for is by searching job ads. By reading job descriptions and requirements early on, and I mean very early on, you can make sure you will be acquiring all the necessary skills before looking for a job.


What software do they want you to be proficient at? Make sure you’re learning it. Pick up an extra class if there’s one that isn’t in your program. Do employers in your field want you to have marketing or PR experience? Find an internship, part-time job, or volunteer.


My focus right now is to increase my employability. I’m developing new skills that employers want, and employers want more diverse skills than ever before! It’s a lot of work, but I know that I will be able to walk into a job interview with the confidence and background my future employer is looking for. Every semester I get to add something new to my growing resume.

No comments:

Post a Comment