Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Go Purple for Alzheimer’s


I was looking at the events section on myMPTC portal this week and saw that Wednesday is “Go Purple for Alzheimer’s”. September is World Alzheimer’s Month and Wednesday, September 21 is Alzheimer’s Action Day. MPTC Students and staff were asked to wear purple this day to raise awareness of this disease.

I don’t know much about the disease, so I went to the Alzheimer’s Association website http://www.alz.org/wam/wam.asp to learn more. They asked for people to wear purple and to change their Facebook profile picture to purple. On the U.S. National Library of Medicine site http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001767/ they said that it is a disease that affects peoples’ thinking, memory, and even behavior. They recommend having a low-fat diet, eating foods high in antioxidants, and to stay mentally active to prevent the disease.

It makes me thankful that I am healthy. My classes may challenge me mentally, but I know it’s good for my brain. I plan on being a learner for the rest of my life.

If you’re looking to get involved in the cause, there is The Walk to End Alzheimer’s event on Saturday, October 1, 2011 at Moraine Park Technical College’s Fond du Lac campus. Registration is at 9 a.m. and the three-mile walk begins at 10 a.m. For more information visit: http://2011walktoendalzheimers.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=451251&lis=1&kntae451251=9A4BE9BD87DE47CCA81C832842339272

No comments:

Post a Comment