Sunday, September 4, 2011

Week in Review: A Reflection of August 29 – September 2, 2011

My assignments are very hands-on at MPTC. For many of them I take screen captures of software I’m using and paste them into a document to prove that I know how to do something that we’ve learned. We are asked to go beyond that and be analytical about our learning. For some assignments, also known as assessments, we are asked for a reflection statement when we’ve finished the tasks. We reflect on our skills before and after the assessment. What have we learned? What difficulties did we have in completing the assessment? What did we do to overcome those difficulties?


The reflection statement is something I can apply to my academic journey. What have I learned this week that I didn’t know before? What difficulties did I have and what did I do to overcome them? What skills am I learning that will better prepare me for the future and my career?


Since I am a part-time student, I only take a few credits each semester. This means that I need to take the few remaining classes this semester that full-time students in my program have already taken. After class, some of my classmates were talking about the classes they were in that I had last semester. Like me last year, they were feeling a little overwhelmed with all the new classes. I was able to view my project from last year and explain a few things to them. Slowly I was starting to remember things. I was surprised and pleased how far I had come in one year. What I thought was very complicated last year seems much simpler this year.


This week I learned that one of the best ways to retain information is to teach others. When you help others you help yourself, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment