Tuesday, April 3, 2012

4 Ways to Get Work Experience

I used to feel discouraged when reading job postings. They all seem to want someone with experience. But if no one hires me, how will I ever get the work experience I need to get hired? Not only was I frustrated, I was going cross-eyed just thinking about this faux paradox. Surely there must be a way to break the cycle? The good news– there is!


Hop Aboard the Internship


They may not pay much, if anything, but internships are a great way to get work experience and college credit. The IT-Web Designer/Developer program, which I’m enrolled in at MPTC, requires internship hours in order to graduate. They won’t let me leave school without getting experience first. It makes sense to me.


Recently, MPTC tweeted a link to an internship site, and I was happy to sign up for it. Keep your eye out for internship opportunities. Sometimes companies will hire an intern after the internship period is over. That’s work experience that can lead directly to a permanent job!


Trade Your Skills for Real World Experience


Volunteering doesn’t pay cash, but it could pay off when you need work experience. It’s a great option if you need schedule flexibility. If you can only give a few hours of your time every other week, they’ll take it. I love volunteering. It’s beneficial for everyone involved. You get to exercise your skills and the organization gets help. Through The Volunteer Center of Washington County I found a volunteer opportunity at an educational non-profit.


Find a non-profit related to your career interests and offer your services. You won’t likely be turned down. PS – It’s a great way to network!


Ahoy Ye! Do It For Free


When you need work experience, consider doing it for free. I have a background in graphic design. Most employers want their graphic designers to have published design work, even for entry-level positions. How did I get published work without having a job first? By creating guest speaker advertisements in the newspaper and designing the directory for my church. I didn’t get paid, but I did get published.


Arrr Ye Forgettin’ Somethin’?


Lastly, this might be something you may have overlooked or dismissed. I did at first. But, you shouldn’t underestimate the importance of your previous jobs. Many people start with jobs in the food and retail industries. They may seem unrelated to your future career, but if you worked in these industries you have customer service experience along with many transferable skills that can apply to almost any job. I learned about transferable skills in my Career Development class at MPTC. You can meet with a career instructor to discuss what transferable skills you may have picked up in previous jobs and learn how to apply it to your future job.


Don’t be lily-livered about not having experience, me maties. Be adventurous in finding opportunities and you may land-ho a job!

No comments:

Post a Comment