Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Test Anxiety Lunch ‘n Learn

Test anxiety can induce a fight or flight response. You can actually have a physical reaction to this kind of stress including sweating, headaches, and going temporarily “blank” before or during a test. It’s a normal reaction many people have. It’s also something that can be subdued or eliminated. This was what I learned during October’s Lunch ‘n Learn at MPTC in West Bend.

Although I don’t really take traditional tests in my classes, there are times when my performance is evaluated by projects I create and presentations I give in class. I find the best way to combat anxiety is to be prepared. During the Lunch ‘n Learn I learned a few other ways to beat anxiety.

Before the test:
- Eat nutritious food, not soda, energy drinks, and junk food
- Prepare by studying early and taking practice tests
- Take breaks while studying so you don’t get burnt out
- Exercise by going for a walk, jogging, or Yoga
- Get sleep because your brain functions much better when you’re not tired
- Practice stress management techniques like breathing

During the test:
- Think positively about the outcome
- Use stress management techniques
- Try not to pay attention to others around you

After the test:
- Reward yourself even if you don’t feel like you did very well

The one thing I would like to start incorporating in my academic life is to reward myself after a big presentation or turning in a big project. I like the idea of focusing on a reward for accomplishing something rather than making the grade that I earn the reward. It could be as simple as allowing myself to play a video game for two hours, which is what I did after I turned in my last big assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment