Friday, November 25, 2011

My First Web Developer Club Presentation

At our last Web Developer Club meeting I was the student presenter at MPTC’s West Bend campus. Since I have a background in art I was able to teach my fellow Web club members about art aesthetics and how they can be applied to Web design. I was very excited to have the opportunity to talk about things like color theory and unity. I was able to explain the reason why you can’t put green text on a red background and how to create elements on a page that work together.


I know quite a bit about art, but I also did some research specifically relating to Web design, and I was able to pass on my resources to others so they could learn more. I feel like we all benefited from the presentation, including me. I have a clearer sense of what an attractive website looks like.


Since the presentation didn’t take up too much time, there was time left for our club president to show us a site that allows a design team to organize a project they are working on together on a digital board. Had I know about it when I was in Web Site Design, Implementation and Maintenance class, we could have saved a lot of space in our email accounts.


This club is great for Web design students who want to go beyond what they learn in the classroom. I think of it as an additional college course on Web-related topics. You come to the meetings to learn new things yet there’s no books to buy or tuition fees to pay. Many students come from different backgrounds and have an expertise in certain subjects. Some students are great at knowing what the next big thing is in technology and communication. It’s not a big commitment, because we only meet once a month. Nobody is required more than to just show up to the meetings, but everybody is encouraged to share their knowledge.

1 comment: