Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Summer/Fall Registration is Upon Us

While it’s easy to be focusing on this semester’s classes, it’s already that time of the year to start thinking about next semester’s classes. Summer/Fall registration is upon us!


Summer class registration has already started. Summer is a good time to take some general education classes, which usually means a lighter load during the academic year. Since I already have a degree, there aren’t many general education classes for me to take. I thought about taking a class or two, but I decided not to this summer. Instead, I’ll be working on building my personal website where I will be posting an online portfolio with things like my resume and links to my past work. A short vacation or two would be nice to squeeze in before fall as well!


Fall class registration for me is in April, too. Next week I will be registering for classes. I like to write down the CRN number and double-check the time and campus location ahead of time so I’m set to register at 7:30 am. I will be taking Graphics for the Web, Beginning Photoshop and Career Development.


At the beginning of last semester, I met with my advisor to make sure I was taking the right classes. It gets a little complicated knowing what classes you do or don’t have to take when you transfer from another school, especially if you already have a degree. If you’re a current student and haven’t checked in with your advisor, I recommend you do so. He or she can give you advice about what order to take your classes in and let you know if you’ve overlooked something. I didn’t realize I had to take Computer Literacy until I talked to my advisor. Also, don’t wait until your last semester to set up a short meeting with them! You can find out who your advisor is by signing in to myMPTC, click on the “Student” tab, and scroll down to the bottom-right corner. Your advisor’s name should appear. Ta-da!


A few last tips about registration that I have learned through the years:


Look up your registration date and time, write it on the calendar and don’t forget to register. Make sure you get into those classes you need to take, especially those prerequisites needed for future classes. Don’t over-schedule yourself. If you work, have a family and are taking 17 credits in one semester, it may be too much for anyone to take on. It was tempting to take a full-time load, but I think it would have been too overwhelming for me to work 26 hours a week, go to class and do the homework. I believe class work should always reflect quality over quantity. It’s more fulfilling to see two “A+” at the end of the semester than five “B-”.


To find class offerings for Summer/Fall visit:

http://www.morainepark.edu/programs


To see Fall registration dates for returning program students by program, visit:

http://libs.morainepark.edu/docs/academic-affairs/registration/program-registration-dates.pdf


To look up class requirements for your program, or a program you’re interested in, visit:

http://www.morainepark.edu/programs-and-courses/programs-of-study/

No comments:

Post a Comment