Thursday, April 7, 2011

I Got a Manicure at School!

Last week I was walking to class and saw a neon pink flyer hanging on one of the bulletin boards in the hallway. The Cosmetology/Barber Apprenticeship Club was offering manicures and waxes as a way to fundraise for their club. I signed up to get the manicure and went last Monday to get my nails done for the very first time.


When I entered the room, I checked-in and was told to sit in the waiting area. They had two chairs off to the side and a place to hang coats. There was a radio playing and several stations set up. It was a nice atmosphere. It didn’t feel like a classroom anymore.


When it was my turn, I had a seat at one of the stations. Having never done this before, I was surprised at all the things included in a manicure. It’s not just filing nails and painting them. She rounded my nails and smoothed the edges. Then, she softened my cuticles with some solution, soaked my hands in some water and used a tool to manipulate the cuticles. The technician also used lotion and massaged my hands before putting on the nail polish.


After two coats of polish, a topcoat goes on. She used a spray can that she said helps the nails dry faster. Behind me, they had two stations set up where people were getting their eyebrows waxed. Ouch, I thought, but nobody seemed like they were in pain. Everyone was pretty happy and chatty.


Afterwords, I was pleased that my nails were smooth and painted a pretty pink color. Even after a few days, they are holding up well. I’m really glad that I stop to look at bulletin boards when I walk to my classrooms. On those boards I find things like special events, information on clubs, items for sale by students and people looking for roommates. I’m always curious to see what opportunities will pop up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment