Friday, April 15, 2011

My First Visit to the Career Center

Last Wednesday I went to the career center and met Mary Pat, the career counselor for Moraine Park’s West Bend campus. She showed me where I can find information about companies in Wisconsin that hire people in the field I’m studying. These companies might not necessarily be hiring at the moment, but it’s a good thing to have a list of potential future employers to contact. There was also information about job outlook and salary.


I took several of the tests available on a computer in the career center. One of them was the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. Learning what type of person you are helps you understand how you work with people and let’s you know what some of your strengths and weaknesses are. According to the results, I’m insightful, creative and visionary. In a group setting I provide insight for the future and follow through on my commitments.


The other tests I took were an aptitude test and the Strong Interest Inventory. I was able to look at an individualized report of each test. It was really interesting to see the detailed results. It gave me an idea of what fields may interest me the most. One test result showed that I shared many interests with people who are librarians. Maybe one day I’ll use my computer knowledge to set up and maintain an online catalog for a library?


I will definitely go back to the career center, especially before graduating. I think it’s going to be an invaluable resource when it comes time to look for a job.


If you’d like to visit the career center, visit their webpage for more information:

http://www.morainepark.edu/services/student-resources/career-center/ - student-resources-career

No comments:

Post a Comment