Monday, April 11, 2011

Homework Day

Television, family members and pets can be distracting when you’re tying to work on homework. That’s one of the reasons why I usually spend one day a week doing homework on campus. Typically, I’ll spend five or six hours during the morning/afternoon there.


Most of my homework gets done on the computer. I prefer the computers in the library, although there is an open computer lab near the library, too. I think I prefer the library because it’s pretty spacious and it has large, scenic windows. There’s a lot of open land and sky. It’s beautiful and relaxing.


Sometime around 11 a.m. I’m usually done with an assignment and it’s off to the cafeteria for lunch. They have specials each day and regular menu items. I really like the chicken Caesar wrap with French fries, so I get that almost every time.


There are usually flyers lying on the table to read, including some from the counselor. They’re about things like how to handle stress and tips about avoiding procrastination. Occasionally I’ll see a classmate and we’ll sit and have lunch together.


After lunch, it’s back to the library. If there are more assignments to be completed on the computer, I’ll do that. Or, if I need a longer break from the computer, I’ll sit in front of the very large windows and read an assigned chapter in my textbook. Sometimes I’ll walk over to the section of books that have just come in this semester to see what’s new. There are academic books, books about job hunting preparation and books about education.


As you can tell, my favorite place on campus is the library. There are a lot of people there in the afternoon. I almost always see somebody I know there and have a little chat with them.


Right outside the library is a display case that changes every so often. Right now there is information about the tornado that hit West Bend on April 4, 1981. When I was looking at it last week, everybody walking down the hall stopped to look at it. It was before my time, but from what I read and what the pictures show, it looked terrible. The display case has several pictures of the damage including pictures of the school. It’s a good reminder to take note of where tornado shelters are in the building and to take tornado warnings seriously.


When I leave campus after my “Homework Day,” I always feel good that I got something done. It seems easier to get things done there since it’s the kind of environment where you’re used to learning and working on the subjects your studying. I highly recommend it (along with the chicken Caesar wrap)!

No comments:

Post a Comment