Friday, April 1, 2011

Computer Literacy Class

This past Wednesday I began my one-credit Computer Literacy class. It is half a semester long. In this class we learn how to use Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel. If you recall from my previous blogs, I am in the Web Designer/Developer program. You may wonder why Moraine Park Technical College wants me to take such a basic class if I’m already familiar with computers? Well, it turns out that not everyone knows all those programs well, even if they use them occasionally. These programs are used in so many business settings, it’s important you know how to use them. What if your boss wants you to create a spreadsheet or a graph?


I’ve used these programs before, some less frequently. However, I learned a few new things and some quick tips about Microsoft Word the very first night. We learned a little bit about networks as well. Computers on the three Moraine Park campuses are all connected to a network so they can communicate and share files. I learned that we have an “O” drive on the school’s computers. Here, students can save their work and the instructor can go into the folder and view it. This drive can also be accessed remotely (off-campus) through My MPTC portal by clicking on the file icon (blue folder). This is different from the “I” drive I’ve been using.


The “I” drive is another places where students can save their work and access it remotely. However, only that student can access their account, not the instructors. It’s a great backup place in case something happens to your flash drive!


My advice to those who are taking general education classes is, don’t be annoyed with those few required classes that everyone has to take. It’s far less than most four-year universities. You are asked to take them for a reason. They are required to prepare you for your future job. Pay attention in class and you might learn something new like a new shortcut that will make your job faster or easier. If you are more advanced in something than your fellow classmates, help them out. Share what you know in class. You could even sign up to be a tutor and get paid for it.


To learn more about Moraine Park’s tutoring service or to become a tutor, visit http://www.morainepark.edu/services/student-resources/tutoring/#student-resources

No comments:

Post a Comment