Monday, December 10, 2012

Lunch ‘n Learn: Holiday Happiness

Last Monday I went to the final Lunch ‘n Learn of the semester at the West Bend campus. We talked about the holidays. This can be the most fun yet most stressful time of the year. Kathy, a counselor and instructor at the West Bend campus, provided a handout that listed ways to reduce stress. I think the most helpful tips include having realistic expectations for yourself and others, be flexible if plans need to change, and keep organized by writing things down.

I like to focus on all the good things December brings. There are lots of things I do that have become traditions. This past weekend my friends and I watched the movie “Love Actually,” which we do pretty much every year in December.

On Christmas Eve, or sometime close to it, my family and I drive around the neighborhood to look at Christmas lights. For the last few years, the Washington County Fair Park has hosted Enchantment in the Park where they have a large lights display you drive through. This is also fun to see. You can donate nonperishable food. Some of the clubs at MPTC have volunteered their time at this event.

Every year we would go to our church on Christmas Eve, but this year we are going to my nephew’s church for his Christmas program. Now that he’s older, this will be our new tradition.

Christmas morning we have a large breakfast, and my mom makes butterhorns, a tradition that has been passed down in our family for several generations. I’ve been practicing making them by helping her, because one day I’ll have to make them myself.

My favorite part of December and January is seeing people I don’t get to see often except for maybe once or twice a year. Some people have moved to other cities or states or they are just too busy with work, school, and family at other times of the year. It sure is nice to have this time to spend with them.

What makes you happy this holiday season?

No comments:

Post a Comment