Wednesday, November 21, 2012

How Technology is Changing Online Classes

Technology has provided us with some truly remarkable tools for education. It’s amazing how much can be accomplished through computers. Programs allow us not only to connect with others, but also really interact and even collaborate with one another.

Last week one of my instructors decided we were going to have class online using the Live tool in eCollege, our online portal for classes. Even though I am very familiar with eCollege, I had never used this feature before. I thought that it was just for chat. While it does have a section for chat, it also has a ClassLive tool.

When it came time for class, our instructor opened a session. I just needed to make sure I had the latest version of Java, and I was able to participate from my home computer. When we all leave the session, it is archived so students that missed class can still view the session in its entirety later. It’s also good for the students who need to look back at something that was discussed during class.

The program has a “whiteboard” where the instructor can pull up PowerPoint presentations, websites, documents, or anything else that can be displayed on the computer screen. The instructor has the option of letting the students post things on the whiteboard. We were able to write on it with the pen tool and highlight tool. In our session we proofread a document and highlighted areas that were incorrect.
On the left side of the screen is an area where the instructor and the students can chat. There is an audio option as well if anybody wanted to speak. Students can “raise their hand” to ask a question by pressing a button and answer questions through polls. If you need to step away for a minute, there is a button for that to show you are away.

I liked using ClassLive. I thought it was very engaging. It allowed us as a class to be actively involved in learning rather than just passively viewing material. It’s so helpful to have the class sessions archived so you never have to say, shoot, I don’t remember what instructor said or, I forgot to write that down in my notes!

What are your favorite tools for online learning?

No comments:

Post a Comment