Tuesday, July 24, 2012

New Student Orientation Recap

I’m not a new student, but I did go to MPTC’s new student orientation in West Bend last week. I sat at a table with my poster, a sign-up sheet, and some candy not only to recruit new Web Developer Club members, but also to promote campus clubs in general.

Club involvement is a great way to network with your peers and professions, learn something new or hone your skills, and travel to businesses or conventions. I highly recommend new and even returning students, to check out clubs related to their field of study or interests by attending one of their meetings in the beginning of the semester. You don’t need to commit right away, just see what it’s all about.

Sometime later during the orientation I was asked to be on the student panel. I knew the other two students on the panel from Student Senate. We answered some common questions about college. Here are the answers to two questions I’d like to share with you: 
  1. Getting involved on campus is important because the more you’re involved, the more people you meet. These people become your network. The larger your network, the more opportunities you’ll have for experience and jobs through your network.

  2. The most important advice I can give to a student is to seek out resources that MPTC provides. Don’t wait for them to come find you. Use the career center, the library, tutors, counseling services, and anything else that will help you succeed. You’ll be surprised at just how much people want to help you succeed and the enthusiasm that will greet you just for showing up and asking for help.


If you’re a returning student, what advice would you give to the incoming students of fall 2012?

No comments:

Post a Comment