Wednesday, June 20, 2012

What Should I Do With My Summer?

It’s easy to get out of shape during the summer when it comes to your mind. If you don’t do anything to keep your mind active, you may feel a little mentally sluggish when classes start in the fall. Here are a few tips to keep your mind and body in shape this summer.

Take a Summer Class
Whether it’s for fun or for credit, taking one or two classes during the summer is a good way to keep you in the learning mode.

Read Books
It doesn’t matter if it’s specifically educational or non-fiction or fiction. I’ve always read something during the summer. Right now I’m reading “Mockingjay,” the third book in “The Hunger Games” series. When I’m done with that, I’ll be reading a book called “The New Rules of Marketing & PR.”

Start a New Hobby
The Internet has made learning a new hobby easy. Try cooking or something crafty. You can visit YouTube to learn all sorts of things. You can find how-to websites that provide tutorials and demonstrations. Don’t forget that the local library is a great resource for anything you may be interested in.


Learn a New Language or Refresh Your Memory
I took two years of Spanish in high school. Recently, I’ve been trying to refresh my memory on some basics, and I’ve been trying to use the language periodically.

Do Some Puzzles
Sudoku is a pretty popular game involving numbers. I’ve never tried it before, but I know some people who are practically addicted to the game. Mad Libs are fun and help you remember the parts of speech like nouns, adjectives, and adverbs. I’ve been able to find a variety of puzzle books at the dollar store.

Give Yourself a Physical Challenge

You can enter a race, walk, or compete in an obstacle course to exercise your motor skills. One of my friends recently completed in a women’s mud race. I enjoy playing basketball, so I try to challenge myself by making as many shots in a row as I can.

Summer is a great time to recommit to a lifetime of learning in a fun way that’s specifically tailored to your interests. What do you do to mentally or physically stay in shape?

No comments:

Post a Comment