Thursday, March 15, 2012

My 100th Blog and My One Year Bloggerversary

Today marks my 100th blog and it nearly coincides with my one year Bloggerversary. In March of 2011, I began writing about my experiences as a Moraine Park Technical College student. It’s amazing to think that much of my life as a college student at MPTC has been recorded in these 100 blogs.


When I first started using the Internet, the term “blogging” was just about being coined, and blogs were nowhere near as popular and mainstream as they are now. Embarrassingly, I remember when I wasn’t so tech-savvy. In middle school, my friend gave me her e-mail address so I could send her an e-mail. I turned on my older brother’s computer, logged in to the Internet, and sat there for a minute. “Where do I type in her e-mail address?” I thought. Without any guidance, I typed it into the address bar. Needless to say, it didn’t work so I gave up (not forever, obviously). I didn’t understand that you needed your own e-mail account to send e-mail to someone.


Nearly a decade and half later, I can build my own websites. Using e-mail is as easy as using a telephone. I use the Internet every day, and I don’t even have to use an older sibling’s computer to check e-mail or view websites. I don’t even have to use a computer. I can use a mobile device such as an iPod.


What will I be able to do 20 years from now? I think that depends on the development of new and existing technology. That’s why it’s so important to build a solid foundation of technical knowledge and to keep learning.


Could anybody have known 20 years ago that social media marketing would be so important? Would anyone guess a job title such as Social Media Manager would exist? Probably not. But the ones who paid attention to technology, who took the time to learn the basics, and kept on learning are probably the people who are thriving in their field today.


How has the Internet changed your personal and professional life in the past 15 years? Put your response in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment