Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Are You Optimistic or Pessimistic?













I’ve always been under the impression that being optimistic all the time was a desirable thing. I admit that I’m not always optimistic, but I wouldn’t consider myself a pessimist.


Since March is Optimism Month, last week’s Lunch ‘n Learn at Moraine Park’s West Bend campus was about optimism. We had a pretty deep discussion, and I’ve come to think that being optimistic about everything may not always be in someone’s best interest.


Say you’re in a job you really don’t like. Would it be good to think that it’ll get better even though your plight hasn’t changed for years? Probably not. But somebody who is realistic may decide their job isn’t working for them, and it’s time to try something different. Realizing what the negative things in your life are can motivate you to change. Doesn’t that sound like a good thing coming from negative thinking?


I would say a balance between optimism and realism is a good approach to life. In most cases, I think we could all stand to be more optimistic. I’m glad that my realistic thoughts about the economy and my career have led me here to MPTC, and now I can focus on being optimistic about my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment