Monday, April 15, 2013

NACA 2013 Part 4


Dinner with Daryl

MPTC Student Senate with Daryl 'Chill' Mitchell
On the last night of the 2013 NACA Northern Plains Regional Conference, the MPTC Student Senate members sat down to dinner with one of the showcasing speakers. His name is Daryl ‘Chill’ Mitchell. You may have seen him in movies such as 10 Things I hate About You playing Mr. Morgan or in the 1990 movie, House Party. In 2001, he was in a motorcycle accident leaving him paralyzed.  I like when the performers and speakers at conferences sit at the tables with the students, because it gives us a chance to learn a little more about them.

Early that day, I went to the two last educational sessions. The first one was about collaboration. Student Senates and other clubs on campuses sometimes work with each other to host an event that’s mutually beneficial. There are different stages of working together from networking, coordinating, cooperating, and collaborating, to integrating. It can be difficult working with others when you are sharing space, resources, and responsibilities. But, it can be a great experience as well!

The last educational session I attended was about planning and creating promotional videos for campus events. The presenters explained a timeline to follow so the video gets completed in time to advertise the event. We were then broken down into groups and given an event to promote. There wasn’t time to make an actual video, but we did brainstorm what we could do and shared it with the rest of the groups.

The CAMP crowd
Saturday was also the last day to watch showcases and visit the entertainment booths to get more information about acts we’d like to bring to MPTC. As a group, we all went together this time so we could find out which acts we all liked.

Lisa, Sam, me, Alex, Bob, Becca, Amanda and Joey
Because people had homework and other responsibilities to get back to, we left really early Sunday morning so we could be back in Wisconsin at a decent time. I had a paper to finish writing for my Computer Essentials class. I also wanted to consolidate all the notes I had taken during the conference and go through my collection of promotional items from the swap so I could share that information with the rest of the West Bend Student Senate members during the next meeting. I came back with some great ideas I was looking forward to sharing and hopefully implementing as soon as possible.

I highly recommend joining Student Senate and attending these kinds of conferences. When else in your life will you get this kind of opportunity to learn, be entertained, and bound with your schoolmates in just five days?


Incase you missed it, check out the rest of my NACA experience:
Read NACA 2013 Part 1: Crossing the Boarder
Read NACA 2013 Part 2: The Conference Kicks Off
Read NACA 2013 Part 3: The Great School Swap

No comments:

Post a Comment