Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Getting My Portfolio Together


Week in Review: A Reflection of April 15 – 21

Creating a portfolio is a great way to show employers what you can do rather than just telling them. I spent my weekend getting my portfolio together, because I will be graduating in less than a month from MPTC. My exit assessment requires me to gather projects from my classes I took for the Office Assistant program.

I’ve chosen to make my portfolio viewable online. I’m using a CMS (content management system) to build the website. In one of my classes, we learned how to upload and embed content, such as documents, PowerPoint presentations, and video, so whoever is viewing my website doesn’t need to download the files. They don’t even have to go to a different page. It’s so convenient and efficient!

Because I did a good job of keeping my files for past classes organized, it wasn’t difficult finding previous projects to include in my portfolio. It’s interesting looking at all the things I have learned. The samples of my work really show the variety of what I can do. My sample works include Word documents, Access databases, Excel workbooks, and PowerPoint presentations, all of which are staple programs for many businesses. I’m including customer service and business records system plans. I have sample work that shows I can edit and post video, create a podcast, write a blog, and write and design an eBook.

I won’t be able to completely finish my portfolio site until I finish the team project for my Team Building and Problem Solving class. Until then, I’m going to make sure all my documents are in order and I write good descriptions of each sample. I’m looking forward to showing future interviewers what I can do for them by sharing my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment