Thursday, February 14, 2013

Inside Information: Interviewing Professionals

Week in Review: A Reflection of February 4 – 10

Somehow I was assigned to conduct interviews for all my classes at the same time, even though I’m taking three different classes this semester.

I interviewed a quality inspector in manufacturing about his computer usage in the workplace. I was surprised to find that he spends 70 percent of his time using computers to look up parts in databases, upload photos, create reports, and communicate with people inside the company through e-mail.

I learned how teams work in the corporate world through another interview for my Team Building & Problem Solving class. Long-standing teams can experience change quite often as new employees are introduced to the team.

My Document Management class required me to interview someone who works with documents. The woman I interviewed works at a non-profit. File management gets complicated when you have different departments that are funded differently. They all have different rules about document management. Some departments need to keep certain documents longer than other departments.

Interviewing professionals is a great way to learn about real workplaces, and I think that’s why our instructors ask us to do them. It’s not based on theory or scenarios in a book; it’s real life, real people, and real companies. They can give you insight on what to expect when you enter the workforce or a new field for the first time.

What’s your dream job? Contact someone in the field and ask them a few informational questions. If you are genuinely interested in what the professional has to say and are grateful, you may be surprised how willing they are to help students like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment