Friday, May 13, 2011

Spring Semester’s End

Even though we are adults now, I always feel nostalgic this time of the year. The grass is turning green, the temperature is above 60 degrees and the birds are singing in the morning sunlight. After this week, there is only one week left until the end of the spring semester and you can feel it in the air. Just like the grade school student looking longingly out the window of a classroom, you know summer is coming.


When I think about my memories of school, I don’t think about tests I’ve taken or grades I’ve earned. I think about the little, unexpected things that have happened, special events I’ve participated in and the people I’ve had the good fortune to meet throughout the year.


What will I remember when I think back to this past academic year? I will remember the day I walked down the hall, turned the corner and saw traffic lights in the intersection of the hallway. They were changing from red to yellow to green. Working traffic lights in the hallway?! The electricity program students were doing a project that day, according to the sign.


I will remember standing at the roulette table with a stack of purple chips in my hand, listening to other students teach me strategies on playing the game.


I will remember the amazing classmates I have met in my program who I’ve spent countless hours with each week, sympathizing with our workloads, finally understanding a difficult concept with, and laughing at jokes that only the computer-savvy can understand.


Sure, I will remember the things I’ve learned as well. It’s the reason I’m here. But I think it’s important to step back from things and enjoy the whole experience. What will you remember from this year? Who have you met that has inspired you or changed your perspective about something? What have you done this year that you’ll remember forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment