Monday, May 16, 2011

The Library is Free

The other week I was in the library and I noticed a cart near the window with a sign that read, “free” on it. As most people do when they see a free sign, I went over to investigate it.


It turned out to be a cart full of books stamped discard. The library gets new books in every semester to keep up with changes in fields, new discoveries and technologies and the job market. The books I was looking at were no longer needed in the library.


I picked up a few books I was interested in like “Careers for Culture Lovers & Other Artsy Types” and a book about graphic design. These books, I believe still carry value. It’s interesting to look through those discarded books, especially to see which ones catch your eye and make you open up to the first page. It might even be inspiring to those who are unsure what career or job they want to go into.


Speaking of books in the library, this summer I plan to look through some web design books the library got in this year to freshen up on all the material I’ve learned this semester and hopefully learn a new thing or two.


You may be thinking why would I bother reading books about web design when I can learn about it, along with any other topic, on the Web itself? That is true, but I have found the Web to be more quantity rather than quality when it comes to information. Books are generally more reliable, accurate and in-depth than search engine results. Plus, reading books from the library is free! And we all like free things.

No comments:

Post a Comment