Thursday, January 24, 2013

The End of Winter Break

Butterhorns fresh from the oven
It’s certainly not the end of winter, but it is the end of winter break. In some ways it has gone quickly, as it always does, but in other ways it feels like it’s been a long time since I sat in a classroom. Here’s a little bit of what I did during break:

I went to my nephew’s program on Christmas Eve. My very young niece had little patience for sitting in a gymnasium and promptly ran out of her slightly-too-large shoes, literally, every time we set her feet on the floor.

On Christmas morning, my immediate family made a large breakfast. My brother made the pancakes, I made the bacon, my sister made the scrambled eggs, and my mom woke up before everyone else to make the traditional butterhorns. At my grandma’s house we had our secret Santa gift exchange raffle. I ended up with a nice, large fleece blanket and a gift card for a restaurant. I like practical, very useful gifts. My uncle ended up with the secret Santa gift I gave which was a kit that included things like a very large packet of batteries, tissues, and other things that you may run out of during the winter.

If I recall correctly, New Year’s Eve night was very cold. My friends and I didn’t really want to go outside after eight. You’d never know that all of us grew up in Wisconsin the way we complain about the cold. I spent the evening at a friend’s place playing videos games. We weren’t paying attention to the clock and missed midnight. Oops. There’s always next year.

The rest of my break between the end of the fall semester and the beginning of the spring semester was spent doing things like practicing my artwork (I’ve created some ink drawings I would like to include in my portfolio website), seeing movies (I highly recommend Les Miserables and Silver Linings Playbook), and I began reading the Sherlock Holmes books. I haven’t read many classic novels so it’s my goal to read a few each year. Any suggestions what I should read after finishing the Sherlock Holmes collection?

I’m hoping that 2013 will be the best year yet. It will definitely be memorable as it is my last semester at MPTC. I will be graduating in May. Luckily, I have captured many memories in this blog through my writings, pictures, and videos. Another benefit of the technological age we live in!

No comments:

Post a Comment