Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Representing the Web Club at New Student Orientation

Web Club members Patrick, Brandon, and Dwayne
It seems like the fall new student orientation wasn’t very long ago, yet here I was at the spring 2013 orientation welcoming in a new group of students. Even though I went through the orientation more than two years ago, I still remember what it was like. I was unprepared for the slightly overwhelming feeling I had that day. I was starting something new, and that’s the moment when it hit me. I didn’t know what my classes, my instructors, or even my classmates were going to be like. Would I like my classes? Could I keep up with the work? Will I meet anybody I could relate to? As I settled into my classes my anxiety was subdued. With everything that is new, you need to allow yourself some time to adjust. That day for me was the beginning of an adventure and now I feel at home when I’m on campus.

This year I, along with some other students in the West Bend Student Senate, were part of a panel. We answered some commonly asked questions as well as some great questions from new students. The panel has some great advice about getting involved and taking advantage of Moraine Park’s services.

I was also at the orientation to represent the Web Developer Club. Three other members of the club came to speak with students about our club. As I’ve said numerous times, I highly encourage students no matter what program they’re in to join a club. Check one out this spring!

I think the most important thing the new students took away from the orientation is to just ask.  Ask your instructors, MPTC staff, and even returning students if you have any questions about anything. There is always someone here to help. We’re friendly like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment