Friday, September 7, 2012

Technology is the Integrating Link

Week in Review: A Reflection of August 27 – September 2

In my accounting class we’re learning how financial statements are integrated. The net income (or net loss) on the income statement also appears on the statement of retained earnings. I’ve realized this week that my classes are also integrated. Concepts I’ve learned and topics we’ve discussed in my IT-Web Designer/Developer classes also appear in my Office Assistant classes.

Having finished quite a few of my web design classes, I’ve got a pretty solid foundation in web-related concepts. This semester I’m taking classes for my other program, which focus on business concepts. I can see now that the two programs are interrelated because web design companies are businesses and every business needs a website.

In my Customer Service Essentials class we talked about the role of technology in customer service. The Internet plays such an important part in customer service. A well designed website equals good customer service, because customers can find the information they need, such as hours of operation or answers to questions they have, easily. Businesses are using e-commerce, mobile apps, and online chat to assist customers.

One of the books we are reading for my accounting class is about a group of friends who build a website and start their own business. The book is going to help us understand how important accounting is to the success of a business. When I read the book, I think back to my Web Site Design, Implementation, and Maintenance class I took in the spring of 2011. In that class we worked in groups to design websites for fictions clients. We had to create a budget and track our time.

In the past I’ve looked at the Individualized Technical Studies degree as an option. This program allows you to create your own tailored degree by taking classes in more than one program. Another option is to pursue several different certificates, which don’t take very long to complete, to get a diversified education, depending on your career goals. I’ve already earned my Web Site Coordinator Certificate last spring when I completed half of the IT-Web Designer/Developer program.

I can see now that technology is the integrating link connecting many professions. It’s no wonder why we talk about new technology in all my classes!

No comments:

Post a Comment