Tuesday, May 20, 2014

My Video and Sound Editing Class

It seemed like a great way to allow everyone in my group a chance to show their creativity without the constraints reality would impose. It would also allow us to explore more possibilities with the Adobe Premiere software. So, we agreed that for our last assignment in our Video-Sound Editing class to create a series of dream sequences. People got to direct their own “dream”.

With the use of a green screen, we weren’t limited to location. We could be on a boat or in space or wherever. The opening and ending, which were the parts where we were awake and not dreaming, tied everything together so we had a story. I was amazed and impressed by what my classmates came up with. I am very proud of the finished product. I’d like to give a shout out to my team. You guys are great!

Despite the fact that this was an eight-week course, I feel like we accomplished a lot in a short amount of time. We started out with simply learning how to operate the camera and record video and audio. We each made a video with examples of different types of shots, like the pan, tilt, zoom and pedestal shot. We tested the different options we had for recording audio, like a hand mic, lapel mic and a shotgun mic. We recorded the same sounds with all the different types of mics to see how differently they’d pick up the sound.

We did some practical things in class such as editing wrestling match footage and exporting the video in different formats to compare file size and quality. We learned how to properly light a scene for interviews. We did some silly things when it came to editing sound and adding sound effects to video.

As a bonus, our instructor showed us how to create a DVD with a menu and chapter titles in Adobe Encore.  This will be helpful to know how to do if you want to create a demo DVD of your work. After I learned this, I took a video I filmed of our family’s Easter egg hunt this year, burned it to a DVD and gave it to my grandma.

Since I do have a lot of work to share from this semester, I thought I’d make a demo reel so you’ll be able to see a sample of what I’ve made. Look for it on my blog soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment