Saturday, March 15, 2014

A New Appreciation for the News

Not too long ago I saw a shot in a news segment where the camera was in a sink facing up towards the faucet. The water came rushing down onto the lens. I thought to myself, that seems like an awfully elaborate shot just for a simple news story.

Since then, I really pay attention to news segments – the shots they set up, the transitions they use, creative camera angles and graphics. A lot of thought, planning and creativity go into presenting news stories.

There are shows I watch where the writing and the acting is great, but the camera work and editing are equally as great. One of my favorite shows uses text in a creative way. The text and graphics on the screen allows you to see inside the mind of the main character. I was watching this show last night, and it was exciting to see particular effects that I admire and figure out possible ways to recreate those effects in After Effects, the program I am currently learning in class.

Speaking of my Motion/Visual Effects class, it will be ending soon. It’s an accelerated class and will be ending before spring break. After spring break I have another accelerated class starting called Video/Sound Editing where I will be learning more about Adobe Premiere, a video editing program. I can’t wait to learn more about the program so I can make even better projects.

I’m working on a project for this blog you’ll see soon hopefully. I’m trying to do it the proper way and incorporate some of the things I’ve learned in my program this past year. As the saying goes, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment