Thursday, November 7, 2013

Product Videos, Interviewing, and Green Screens

Testing the lighting and setting the white balance
We’ve done some pretty cool things in my Video Camera and Lighting Techniques class these past weeks. Recently, we learned how to set up lighting for green screen. Our classroom has a green screen backdrop, and we were able to use that for our interview project.

I interviewed one of my classmates who has been fortunate enough to travel globally, so he talked about how that has affected him. I’ll be working on editing the video in the next few days. I plan on using one of the places he’s traveled to as a backdrop.

Product video shoot
Earlier this semester we filmed product videos. This is a really practical application for video, because businesses need to show their product to consumers. What better way to do that than video? Our instructor brought in a guest, who is also a professional, to give us some tips on shooting products. It was really helpful listening to him explain how each of our products should be lit based on what color it was, if it was translucent, or if it had any reflective properties. My “product” was the lantern I walked down the aisle with at my friend’s wedding this summer. I used a white backdrop to contrast with the black lantern.

We usually have time at the end of class to work on editing our projects, so I’m able to get some extra help from my instructor and my more-experienced classmates with that part of the assignments. I’m starting to learn the editing software better. There is a lot more tools and features than iMovie. It was the only other video editing software I’ve used before this class. I’ve been taking advantage of all the resources our instructor has provided in the webliography section of eCollege, our online class portal.

We’ve got a few more projects left to complete before this semester is over. I’m looking forward to starting those, and signing up for my spring classes. I’ll be taking Video/Sound Editing and Motion/Visual Effects. Imagine all the cool stuff I’ll have made by the end of May!

No comments:

Post a Comment